A blog for 3 friends to keep in touch and motivate each other to keep creating!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Serene Coastal Bedroom or Nautical Nightmare?






Last week I finally decided to tackle the master bedroom. We painted it over two years ago and had not put anything on the walls since. I just could not make up my mind on what to do. So I decided to go coastal and if that did not work, I would just start over. I found a frame at Goodwill last week and brought it home, painted it and hung it over my bedside table/chest. I added the starfish and the plaster footprints of the children that we created at the beach several years ago. I also placed the naked lampshade on my table as well with a few knickknacks (?). The bench that I bought in Bowling Green was sanded, painted and sanded again and placed in the bedroom. I still need to add cushions to the bench but I thought it best not to wait till that is complete before I posted. Who knows when that will happen? For now I have the down comforter from our bed piled on the bench. The wooden piece hanging over the bench with the shells was an idea that I had seen in a magazine a while back and really wanted to incorporate that somewhere. This is where it ended up. The shells are all from a collection of my grandmother's. The white shelves on each side were originally in daughter's bedroom many moons ago and I thought that they may be just right to fill this space. I added more beach stuff on the shelves. The painted beach quote over the tall chest was a purchase from one of my favorite beach stores, Pickets, in Sea Grove from several years ago. Lastly, I took the down comforter off the bed and decided to use the pale blue coverlet as a bedspread, added coral sheets and two shams from TJ Maxx to add a little color. I will have to let this look grow on me a little bit more. At first, it seemed as if I had closed myself in too much with the addition of so many things at once. I will just have to wait and see if this stays as is. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I like it. I think you need lighter curtians...and Abigail said she would take those two off your hands ;-)but only if you can tell us where to get two more. I don't think it is a nightmare at all. I love the bedspread and colors you used to 'add' color. Nice job. Now come and help me do my bedroom walls!

    ReplyDelete