A blog for 3 friends to keep in touch and motivate each other to keep creating!

Monday, August 16, 2010

I love "trash"!


We were driving home from from my mom's house last night and there next to someone's garbage cans was this beauty!!! We circled back to get it and noticed they were in the front yard working in their flower garden. The hubby wasn't too sure about stopping, but I just rolled down the window and politely asked if it was out for the trash. The gentleman said yes and that I could have it. He seemed genuinely happy that someone was taking it home.

The structure is pretty solid. A few places need a little wood glue, but once they are fixed it will be like new. Well, except for the chippy paint. However, I love that chippy paint. How can I preserve that? Do I put a coat of poly over it. Have you read on other blogs what they do? Everyone talks about keeping the chippy paint, but I don't know if they ever say how they "treat" it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Now, where to put it?

3 comments:

  1. That's a really cute bench! I love trash too.
    Does that sound weird? Oh, well! :)
    I'm not sure about the chipping paint and how to preserve it. Hmmmm??? What if you sanded it down, gave it a fresh coat of paint and used that crackle paint to "look" like chippy paint? I know...extra work.
    Anyway, good luck with it. She's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She certainly is a beauty! You couldn't just leave her on the side of the road. I don't know why you couldn't just poly over the chippy paint and be done with it. I think I would give it a go. Any idea where she might end up in the house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to cute! And I love trash too! I think we need some tees made to wear on trash day! I have to say I don't have near the goodies in trash here. I need to come up one night and get up the next morning to trash hunt.
    I too think you need to just poly over it. She looks like she has some storys to share!

    ReplyDelete