A blog for 3 friends to keep in touch and motivate each other to keep creating!

Monday, July 26, 2010

Old Window Frame






.................................................................................................................I have been meaning to do something with the shutters and windows that I picked up the night I went junking with my Mom and stepdad. I finally decided to turn one of the windows into a picture frame and use the shutters to finish the look. Fortunately I did not have to do anything to the window but clean it up a bit. Actually quite a bit. It was pretty nasty. But with a little soap and lots of water (even used a magic eraser) it washed up nicely. I really did not want it to whiten up, I just wanted it to be dirt and bug free! I tried several ways to get the pictures to adhere to the inside of the window. I used scrapbooking glue dots in my first attempt. In the middle of the night I could hear the pictures dropping to the bottom of the window. Not good! I finally decided to use hot glue and it worked. You can see the glue a little but at least the pictures are staying put (for now). To back up a little, I used pictures from different vacations, changed to sienna and printed out from Snapfish. I mounted each picture on cream cardstock that I edged with brown ink to instantly age. I also used cardstock to identify each picture with the location and date. Once all the pictures were glued to the window, I backed the window with linen fabric. The shutters were dark brown wood and so I spray primed and then spray painted Heirloom White and sanded. My BR hung the trio and I decided to use an old ironing board that had been stored for many years. I have seen on lots of blogs where people have used all white accessories so I decided to give it a go. I used a little more of the linen fabric on the board. I found some black iron frames at Walgreens for less than $3 and so I spray painted those and used some sienna photos in those. Added a few more items, including a pair of my daughter's baby shoes and there you have it. I really like the look. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous! I can't get over how perfect the shutters are for that window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am slow...but this turned out really cute! I need some great ideas like this for my bedroom! Come on down anytime to help me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love any projects using old windows! Looooove them! I went to my local craft store and purchased an item called "photo corners". They are sticky little triangular shapes that you can slip the corners of the photo into. Barely see them through the glass. I used clear but they also had black. This way you can change out your photos easily!

    ReplyDelete