A blog for 3 friends to keep in touch and motivate each other to keep creating!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sorry It Took Me So Long!

Several months ago I posted about the issues I was having with the wall in the boys' bathroom.  I have finished that room and am very pleased with the results.  Sorry for the long delay in posting pictures.  The Holidays came and I found myself enjoying family and friends.  BTW, the short-term solution for the wall was to just put up what I wanted and ignore the roughness.  Since I am not the one in there every day, it doesn't bother me and I know it doesn't bother 2 adolescent boys!

  This is the only "Before" picture I have.  It was taken before we moved in.

So without further ado, check out what we did.

The walls were yellow as well as the floors.  Since we didn't want to change the floors, I decided to "man" up the room by painting the walls grey.  We chose Embarcadero by Valspar and it is a great color.  We already had the Brooklyn Bridge Shower curtain and that gave me the idea for a sort of travel theme in the room.  The yellow suitcase over the commode is now the medicine cabinet and stores lots of deodorant and Axe Body Spray.  I painted the vanity black using the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation Kit. (I love this product and will be using this again.)  The cabinet was done several months ago and is holding up great in a room with lots of moisture and boys handling it how they want!

We hung the mirror and light fixture to replace the lost mirror and lights when we removed the old medicine cabinet.  Eventually we will have to go with a larger mirror as the boys grow, but this worked well with the current budget and fits the current users.  Sorry to any guests that might stay with us that need a taller mirror.


We did update the hardware on the existing vanity as well.  I also chose to distress the edges of the doors and drawers before I put on the protective coat.  I am so pleased with how this turned out. It really made the yellow floors pop!  Even the boys like the floors now.  At least more than the did before.  Above the vanity, I hung an old yellow frame I already had with a great "You Are MY Sunshine" print I purchased from a shop on Etsy.

I wanted it to be a fun bathroom, but not childish so we went with some pretty unexpected items to help with storing and corralling all those needed bathroom items.  The suitcase turned vanity was a ton of fun to make and the boys love it.  I removed the interior fabric and replaced it with a yellow and grey plaid shirt from Goodwill.  You can kinda see the buttons and pocket on the door portion.  Looking at this picture, I realize I still need to paint those shelves.  BTW, the suitcase was originally green and I painted it to match the yellow floor with sample jar of matching paint color.  Again we used Valspar, Santa Monica Blvd. The small hooks that were originally on the back of the door were inadequate to catch the bath towels as the boys tossed them for hanging.  We re-purposed two wooden hangers to act as the new hooks and they catch the towels quite well.



 It was a ton of fun to redo this bathroom and it was fairly inexpensive.  We did replace the toilet, but that needed to be done anyway.  I hope you have enjoyed this little tour.  I have resolved to show you the many other projects we squeezed in to those busy holiday months. It is amazing what you can accomplish when you know you are going to have a house full of people.

Lastly,  I couldn't do any of these projects without the help of my patient husband.  He is always there to assist when a project gets bigger than I thought. He is my biggest encourager and my 2 boys are right there with him.  Thanks for cheering me on when I tackle these jobs.  Love ya!



1 comment: