A blog for 3 friends to keep in touch and motivate each other to keep creating!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Finally, A Project Marked Off The List!


I have wanted to remodel our 1st floor half bath for a long time. I've had the image in my head for almost as long. About a month and a half ago I decided to start pulling out the quarter round and base boards to see if my idea was even in the cards. These came off easily. I was able todoall of this on my own!!! The plan was to get rid ofthe drab tan and update this little room with some Board and Batten as well as some fresh paint colors. As the project has come to completion this evening I couldn't be happier. It really did turn out the way I saw it in my head. This isn't always the case for me. I was surprised at the relative ease that the Board and Batten went up. We used Lattice forthe vertical pieces. This way there was a small recess from the Board. I love my nailer and mitersaw. They definitely made this project doable. Here are some lousy before (actually during pictures)and some fresh after pictures. Hope you like it!
This shows the small pedestal sink. It is cream and that wasn't going to work with the new colors. Luckily, we still had a lovely white pedestal sink in storage that we had removed from a project years ago. That bathroom had needed more under sink storage for the main bathroom of two growing boys. Glad we hung onto it.
This is a picture that really gives you an idea of the tan. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing exciting either. We did have a picture above the toilet on this wall, but I had already taken it down when I thought to take pictures.

This is a close up of the Board and Batten. The room is already looking better even though the painting is only half done. You can see the great new color going on above the Board and Batten. It is Martha Stewart's Aegean Blue. Yes, that is the same blue as my laundry room. I love the color and I had enough to finish this project as well.

Now to the good stuff. The room is complete as well as another project I have been working on for months. All those frames have been painted, painted again, sanded, arranged, and hung. Love the red accents as well!


We put in a smaller mirror and even though you can't really see it in the picture, the light fixture has been updated. Painted the brass and chrome with the Bronze spray paint I have used everywhere else in the house. It looks a ton better. The mirror is one I have had for years and finally found the perfect spot for it. Painted the stool with the same blue as the walls, sanded it, and it looks fantastic. The wire basket is for tp rolls and it looks like I need to get a few in there.


Another fun addition, were these old doctor's office canisters. The blue wasn't exact, but thought they were a great splash of color and fun way to store the items we do need to have in this bathroom. These came from my uncle's surgical supply business years ago. The two bottles you see have red and blue labels and hold mouthwash for each of my ds's. This is our launching pad in the mornings before school so toothbrush, toothpaste, and mouthwash are must haves. This was such an easy way to have them get their mouthwash and no messy spills.

I have had fun sharing this makeover with you. Hope you have enjoyed it too.



4 comments:

  1. Very cute! I have a couple of rooms you are welcome to tackle next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. I love it.
    Olivia wants to change her room color and we have been picking up paint chips for months. She finally settled on MS Aegean blue! We might need to come by and see it in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job, Jennie! I have a question about the bronze spray paint. I have been wanting to change all my brass door handles to bronze but I'm afraid that they won't hold up with spray paint due to the oil from people's hands. Have you used it on door handles and if so, how are they holding up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie, the room turned out beautifully!! I love the red touches. You know I love me some blue and red! The frames look great also.

    ReplyDelete